Growing cucumbers on black plastic is an effective way to extend the amount of time it takes for plants to get enough water. This is because black plastic warms up quickly, which means that the warm air will be able to evaporate water from moist soil much quicker than in a cold environment. In this article, we will provide an in-depth guide on how to grow cucumbers on black plastic, and what benefits come with it.
Why Do People Use Black Plastic When Gardening?
People use black plastic for many different reasons, but all of those reasons are aimed at getting a better harvest. Some benefits that come with using black plastic include:
- Better temperatures
Black plastic can get up to 10 degrees warmer than the surrounding soil, which allows plants to get more water quicker.
- Better air circulation
Black plastic allows for better circulation of the warm air, which means the evaporation of water is much quicker. This is because warm air travels faster than cold air. In comparison, use of black plastic allows plants to get more water in a shorter period of time.
- Better penetration of nutrients into soil
Black plastic allows for better penetration of water and nutrients into soil, which makes plants grow faster and produce more crop.
- Increased germination rates
Planting seeds on black plastic gives them a high chance of germinating, which leads to a higher yield. For example, planting cucumber seeds on black plastic can almost double the amount of healthy plants that grow.
- Better plant growth
Plants grown on black plastic need less transplanting because they do not need to be shifted from soil that is too cold to soil that is too hot.
- Less transplanting
Transplanting of plants is done much less often when growing on black plastic because they will not be moved from soil that is too cold to soil that is too hot.
Read: Growing Vegetables in Pots For Beginners and Self-Sufficient Garden – Ultimate Guide to Start.
How To Use Black Plastic for growing cucumbers
The main idea behind using black plastic for growing cucumbers is to use it to protect the soil from direct sunlight. The amount of sunlight that is able to penetrate into the soil can affect the growth rate of plants, which will ultimately affect how long it takes for them to reach maturity.
While black plastic can work well for smaller gardens, in larger gardens, using black plastic requires careful design and planning.
It is important to choose the size of black plastic that you will be using. If you are using black plastic in a garden that is smaller than the size of the herbicide, then it will be best to use only small pieces pasted on low spots of your garden.
If you plan on growing cucumbers in larger gardens, then it would be best to use larger pieces of black plastic over a wider area. When using very large pieces of black plastic, it is recommended not to cover up much ground with it.
When it comes to watering the plants on black plastic, remember to water regularly so that they do not dry out. This is because they are on black plastic, which does not allow for excess water loss.
In addition, remember to keep an eye out for any leaks from the fabric because they are very prone to leaks. Leaks can lead to plants dying and producing less crop, which can result in a failure in the growing process.
When to Use Black Plastic
Black plastic is a great way to start your growing process, but it is not the best option for crop production. This is because black plastic does not allow for much light penetration, which can affect crop production in the long run.
This means that if you choose black plastic as your main growing material, then you will need to be able to provide additional lighting in order for your garden to produce crops in a timely manner.
Thanks to its ability to trap in heat, black plastic is an excellent way to kick start your growing cycle. Using it at the beginning of the growing season will put your plants into a growing state much faster and allow them to produce more crop than they would if you used other materials.
This means that using black plastic as a starting material could help you get faster results out of the growing season. However, it is not advised that you use black plastic in place of materials that will allow for more natural growth.
Read: Vegetable Garden: What You Shouldn’t Plant Next To Each Other
How to Activate Black Plastic
A lot of people choose to use black plastic for its ability to retain heat. However, in order for it to do this, you have to activate it first. There are two main ways that you can do this:
- Pre-Wetting Method
The pre-wetting method is by far the easiest method when activating black plastic. It involves spraying the black plastic with water so that it becomes soaked before putting your plants on it. This will be a much quicker process than the other method.
- Soaking Method
The soaking method involves placing your black plastic in water for 24 hours before adding plants to it. This will be a longer process than simply spraying it with water, but it is better for your plants because it allows the soil to become warm and moist more quickly.
This will result in you getting a full harvest sooner than if you chose to use the pre-wetting method. The pre-wetting method is also more environmentally friendly because it significantly reduces the amount of water that is going into your soil and produces less waste. On the other hand, the soaking method does require more water, but it also produces less waste.
It is important to note that when using black plastic for gardening purposes, you should not let the soil become completely wet. This is because black plastic does not allow for excess water loss, which can cause the plants to rot.
In addition, remember to always activate your black plastic before you start to plant anything in it. If you do not activate it or cover it with soil at all, then the soil will be unable to absorb any water and your crops will die in a short amount of time. This will ultimately result in you wasting money and ruining all of the work that you put into activating the black plastic.
Disadvantages Of Using Black Plastic
Black plastic brings a lot to the table when it comes to growing, but it also has some negative side effects that you need to be aware of. These include:
- Black plastic is not very environmentally safe. As a matter of fact, black plastic is not renewable at all. In order to make black plastic, you have to take petroleum-based products and turn them into it, which will ultimately result in the pollution of the environment.
- These materials are not very resistant to sunlight and elements such as humidity and heat. If they get too hot, then they will be ruined in a small amount of time.
- Black plastic does not allow for your soil to breathe. When you cover your soil with black plastic, it makes it almost impossible for any air or water to get through. This will prevent the roots from getting any oxygen and it will eventually cause your plants to suffocate.
- Another disadvantage is that if you have a small backyard, you will not be able to use black plastic. If you place black plastic over an area that is too small, then it will become extremely hot in the middle of the day and it could even potentially burn your plants.
- Some people may be concerned about the safety of the plastic. While some plastics are not very harmful, black plastic is known to contain a lot of harmful materials that can hurt animals and humans alike when ingested. If you choose to use black plastic, make sure to keep it away from your animals and children.
Black Plastic Vs. White Plastic
At this point, you may be wondering which one is better if you are trying to pick between a white and black plastic cover for your garden. It is important to understand that this is a matter of personal preference, but if you choose the right type of plastic for your garden, it can really help to increase the lifespan of your plants.
- White plastic does not give off as much heat as black plastic. However, white plastic is also known to reflect sunlight and heat from the outside. This means that a white cover will only be able to protect your plants during the night time hours. In addition, white plastic does not hold back sunlight as well as black plastic. This means that it does not block out as much heat and light from the plants during the day.
- Black plastic will trap heat and help keep the moisture in your garden at a much higher level than white plastic. However, because of this black plastic can easily get too hot during the day, which can burn plant leaves and roots.
What Types Of Soil Work Best With Black Plastic?
Black plastic works best when applied over sandy soils and sandy loam. Because the soil will not hold as much water in as clay, the black plastic will not get as hot and the heat will be dissipated.
If you apply black plastic on clay soil, it may raise the temperature of your garden bed to a point that will kill your plants. Heat also is one of the biggest killers of plant life after transplanting so you don’t want to add any heat to your young plants at that point.
If you choose not to use black plastic, try to put your soil as close to the plants as possible. Using black plastic will allow your soil to be exposed to the sun during the day which can cause a lot of problems for your plants.
How Many Cucumbers Should You Plant In Each Mound?
The amount of cucumbers you should plant in each mound is based on the size of your garden and how much you want to harvest. The size of the mounds will be based on the size of your garden. If you are growing in a small garden, then 8 plants is usually a good estimate for starting off.
As time goes on, you can increase it to 10 or even 12 plants per mound as long as your plants are growing well and there is no disease that is taking hold.
If you are growing in a larger garden, then that can be a little trickier because there will not be enough room to plant so many cucumber plants. The size of the garden will also determine how much and how far from the plants, the plants need to be placed. When growing cucumbers with black plastic, the plants need to be closer to the center of the black plastic so that there is not enough space for weeds to grow.
You may also like:
- How to use mushroom compost in vegetable garden
- How to Plant, Grow and Care Lima Beans Plants
- Grow, Care and Store Carrots from Garden
- How to grow eggplant from seed
- Acorn Squash Plant – Growing and Caring tips
- Squash Plant – How to Plant and Grow
- Corn Plant brown leaves care and Tips
When you grow cucumbers using black plastic, you will experience a faster start to the growing season and you will be able to increase your harvest as time goes on. This is because of the ability of black plastic to trap in heat and keep your soil from losing moisture in the heat of the day.
If you want to get better results from growing cucumbers, then it is recommended that you use black plastic as your main growing material. You’ll need to keep space in mind, as this method can take up some space on an already big crop. It is also important that you choose the right types of soil, as well. If you follow this guide, you should be able to yield a bountiful crop of cucumbers using black plastic.
I am Elsa, love gardening. I spent lots of time with plants, flowers, it gives me lots of happiness.
I am sharing all the practical tips on how to grow various plants, flower plants, vegetables in the garden. Read more about me.